July 22, 2013

Another week flies by...


July 8, 2013

Hello hello!
I can't believe another week has gone by. This mission thing just keeps getting faster and faster. I almost have 5 months. ¡Pucha!

I have the best story to tell you all. So a few weeks ago, Hermana LeFevre and I were knocking on doors, and this lady answers the door. She says she's busy and says to come back another day (just like everyone else says), but she looked a little promising, so we tried again the next week. A man answered the door and she was right behind them and said they were leaving, but to come back again. This time we set up an appointment with them for last Tuesday. So we went on Tuesday, and let me tell you, I found my person. You know, that person you just KNOW you were meant to find. It's her. She is that golden investigator every missionary wants. We taught the Restoration and she completely understood everything. The man she lives with is actually a less-active, but he wants to come back to the church. The only problem is they aren't married! So they need to get married for her to get baptized. But she was saying how he says things about the church and she's always wanted to know more. We went back again on Thursday with our District Leader and his companion to teach the Plan of Salvation, and that was even better than the first lesson! She said it all just made sense and that somehow, she's known it all her life, but she doesn't know from where. She says when we come there's a feeling she can't describe, and when we leave, so does the feeling. Her boyfriend is really growing in his testimony, too. He helps us explain things when we can't think of the words, and I can tell he's really loving to see his girlfriend's testimony grow with his. Yesterday they came to church, and it was the best feeling in the world. When we picked them up, she came out in her skirt that she had made the day before and she was so beautiful and excited. Her name is Paulina and his name is Edgar. Edgar had on his slacks and button up shirt...oh, they were perfect. Hermana LeFevre and I wanted to cry because it was so perfect. They just looked so happy. They hit it off with the bishop, and we're actually going to have a Family Home Evening in the bishop's home this evening with Paulina and Edgar.  After church they went in and talked with the bishop forever! But I doubt it was anything bad because Paulina and Edgar and the bishop came out smiling so big! Just writing this makes me cry it's so perfect. Oh, the second time we went to visit, we asked her if she started the Book of Mormon and if she had prayed. She said she hadn't started the book, and she felt so bad and she said, "I promise I'll start tonight! I'm sorry I was lazy! I promise!" It was so cute, and Edgar was saying. "Yeah, we're going to put it right on top on the dresser so we'll see it and start reading because I know it's important to read every day." Tonight, I think we're going to talk about temples :) They have plans to get married, but we haven´t talked about it more than just asking if they have plans. Hopefully tonight when we talk about temples and eternal marriages, they'll set a date! I can just see them going through the temple. She's ready. He's ready. After they get married, its possible Edgar could baptize her. That would be perfect. I just love them so much! I love being a missionary!

We also set two dates this last week for baptisms on the 20th with Wilson who's 18 and his friend Franco, who's 20...so we don't need signatures from parents! That's one of the hardest thing with putting dates with minors...parents. But last night we taught Wilson and Franco and it was really good. They're getting ready to be baptized!!!! The Lord has blessed us so much this transfer. I have seen so many little miracles, and I have to say again that being a missionary is the best thing in the world.

We met President Dalton on Saturday. He's really nervous, which is completely understandable. His wife is about as fluent in Spanish as I am, so that's nice too. President Dalton is the man. His voice is so firm and deep and just...powerful. I feel like everything he says is inspired...and it just might be! It was so cute, right before our little conference started, President and Hermana Dalton were sitting up front and President Dalton looked like he was going to pass out, and Hermana Dalton whispered to him, "Its fine. It's gonna be okay. It doesn't have to be perfect." It just showed me how humble this man is and that he's called of God and wants to do the best job he can. I know he'll be great!

I was having my first interview with him, and he had asked where I'm from, and I had mentioned that originally I'm from Southern Cal and we got to talking and he wasn't making the connection, so after I said that Dad was from Rancho Cucamonga, and said that he grew up in Ontario I said ¨Yeah, your dad is actually our accountant." And he looked at my name tag and was like "OOOOHHH, HOWELL!!! Your grandpa had a machine shop or something? I remember him showing us around...ok, wow, small world!" Haha, but he's such a great man. I'm excited.

Well, that's about it for this week! I love being here and teaching these people. It's such a blessing in my life. Tell Sarah to start preparing now! Because it's hard, really hard, but the best thing in this world.

Love,
Hermana Howell

No comments:

Post a Comment