April 24, 2013

Whoa, where'd the day go?

April 16, 2013

Hi!


Thought I'd share a typical day with you:

WORK.

Whoa, where'd the day go??

Haha, ok really, this is what it is:

7 AM - Wake up....(enduring to the end right there.)
7-7:30 AM - Exercise (Yeah right...more like stretching)
7:30-8 AM - Get ready, shower
8-8:30 AM - Breakfast!
8:30-9:30 AM - Personal Study
9:30-10:30 AM - Companionship Study
10:30-11:30 AM - Training
11:30-1:30 PM - WORK
1:30-2:30 PM - Lunch
2:30-3 PM - Personal Study
3-3:30 PM - Language Study
3:30-10 PM - WORK
10-10:30 PM - Daily Planning
10:30-11 PM - Get ready for bed, write in journals
11 PM - Lights out (favorite time of day!)

Its pretty full, but the day goes by really fast...sometimes it's really slow during that 7 hour shift when no one will let you in and your appointments fall through, but really, it's still fast when you think about it.

Spanish is coming along, like always. I am slowly getting better, but the worst is at lessons when I have no idea what is being said, so I can't really teach according to their needs...it's really frustrating. And then they ask me questions, and there will be like one word I don't know, so they explain and explain and I finally understand, but by the time that happens, I have forgotten the question, so I just have a word, and I'm sitting there trying to remember the question, and I can't for the life of me, and I'm sitting there looking so dumb and they give up and go back to their conversation. So rough. But at least I'm a good listener.....I say my testimony and the prayer, and we leave. So hard, but Hermana García and I practice every day so I can contribute more...FAITH!

So the people here wear a lot of t-shirts with english writing on them...and I doubt they know what it says, because one guy around 30 or so was wearing one that said ¨World's Greatest Grandma¨ I laughed so hard when I saw that, and Hermana García asked, but I couldn't explain it because I was laughing so hard, and because Hermana García speaks spanish. Oh well. haha

One night, when we were walking back to our pension, I heard the scariest noise of my life. You know on I am Legend how those zombie human creature bald things scream? That's exactly what I heard, and I was like "Oh my gosh, I'm gonna die." and I practically dragged Hermana. García back home. blllleeeeghhhhh

One day when were were knocking on doors, a lady answered and of course said "I'm too busy, another day, yeah?" and then she told us to wait, and she came back with this HUGE plate of donuts she just pulled out of the oven, and gave us each one...oh boy they were good. Haha, we'll be going back to her house soon ;)

The people here in Chile LOVE to ask me if I know anyone famous...hahah I don't know why, but since I´m from the United States, I gotta know someone, right? Especially when I say I was born in California..that gets them going. haha But I tell them that David Archuleta is a famous singer, and he´s a missionary here in Chile, and they can't believe it. They don't know who he is here, but they go and look him up on YouTube while we're talking, and they believe me that he's famous, but they can't believe someone famous can be Mormon and on a mission in their country...fun stuff haha

The other night as we were leaving a teaching appointment, we passed a couple with a stroller on the street, and they stopped us and asked us if we were part of a religion! They said they've always wanted to know about the Mormon church. We gave them a Book of Mormon and invited them to church. They didn't come BUT we're going to visit them and see if they've read some and whatnot...They're names are David and Marcia! I hope all goes well!

So every Saturday and Sunday we eat with members (technically every day because a lady in the ward makes us lunch) and this weekend we ate at a member's restaurant down town...they have the nicest restaurant here! It would even be considered really nice back home...except the prices are wayyyyyy cheap. They're nicest plate is like 12 bucks...I told Hermana García that at Milt's, our nicest plate cost around $60 (which is about $30 here) and she about had a heart attack haha.

So the custom here when people greet is to kiss them on the cheek. Obviously we can't do that with men...well one investigator that came to church, Alberto, (I'm guessing he's about 16..we haven´t asked him yet), he was leaning in to kiss me on the cheek, and I had to stop him and explain why we couldn't...so awkward. hahah But at least he won't try again!

Oh! One night, we were walking to visit someone, and I felt like we had to visit the Pastén family instead, so we went there, visited, shared a scripture and what not, and left. I had no idea why I felt like we had to because everything seemed fine...and I couldn't understand what they were saying...haha, but afterward Hermana García said that they were having a bad time and were thinking about us and thinking about calling us to come over, and we showed up! Cool huh!!! I hope everything got better :)

Here are a few pictures of me & my companion Hermana Garcia being ourselves!







Have a great week!

Hermana Howell

No comments:

Post a Comment